Thursday 27 June 2013

mo·rale
  [muh-ral]  
noun
emotional or mental condition with respect to cheerfulness, confidence, zeal, etc., especially in the face of opposition, hardship, etc.: the morale of the troops.


Dwight D. Eisenhower once said “Morale is the greatest single factor in successful wars”. Now, of course, in its literal sense we could certainly argue there is no such thing as a successful war. However, figuratively, this statement can be  accurately applied  to the battle against the daily grind.

Taking time to boost morale can be the difference between facing opposition with a calm, cool head or racing in with guns a-blazing. And we all know the later rarely ends well.

Here's a few things that have boosted my morale lately.


Coffee with my BFF, Queen J. 

A kitchen table, multiple cups of coffee, chocolate cake and two containers full of almonds (natural for her and oven roasted for those of us who like food with flavour) is the perfect way to spend an afternoon if you ask me. 

There's nothing like being able to spill your guts in a judgement-free cone of silence to relieve some of the emotional weight we tend to carry.






Writing the shopping list. 

I actually really enjoy this. I love trawling through all my recipes (of which I have many!) and planning the weekly meals.  

Doing the grocery shopping without a list is a sure fire way to spend too much money!













The manuscript. 

The First Mate has decided he wants to have a book published and spent the morning drafting the first chapter on the laptop.  

For a boy struggling with his literacy skills at school, it warms my heart to see him engaged in such an activity.











Comfort food!  

Speaking of heart warming… I'm loving winter cooking right now. Rich, hearty, delicious. 

Such a pleasant way to warm up!

















What's boosting your morale today?


The Captain.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me.